Sunday, June 21, 2009

Memphis, Tennessee

OK, so it is my turn to write a blog….so Oklahoma at the game. Mark and I are eating our free hot dogs and behind us is a group of six. We sat there and listened to their conversation for awhile. Here is part of it, “hey who sings that Jesse girl song?” is it Bruce Springstein or Rick Springfield, I always get those two mixed up.” “Hey after the game lets go over to that Bass Pro Shop.” “ I think I want to buy me a boat.” “Hey tell that little girl she has Nacho Cheese in her hair I don’t think that she wants that there.” The little girl was Keegan. Some how Keegan slung Nacho Cheese sauce into her hair and they were nice enough to add her to their story.

On Saturday we headed to Memphis, not before we had breakfast, since Dad’s eat free on Father’s day weekend. How about that!! Two years ago we stayed free at a KOA in San Diego on Mother’s Day and now Mark is getting free breakfast. Wonders never cease. While we checked out the girls went to the playground. They had a tire swing and tether ball!! By the time we picked them up, Keegan was green from swinging round and round and Violet was playing by herself. So we loaded up and took off. Not 10 feet onto highway 40 when Violet barfed! Yes you read right, BARFED!! Too much swinging in circles for her! Next exit 1.2 miles.

We pulled into Memphis around 4:00. (BTW Arkansas is the most beautiful state in the south. Lush green trees and meadows and lakes/rivers everywhere, too bad they have giant mosquitoes and humidity!) Mark headed to the Super Walmart for groceries and I took the kids to the pool. What an adventure that was. I use to think I was raised in hickville until I came to the south!! At the small pool there must have been 30 people. I stayed in one area and had the kids swim to me. I thought that would be safe and I wouldn’t get shot with a water pistol that five of the kids had. I look around and behind me is a guy lounging on a chair with his feet up and what do I see. Two giant moles on the bottom of his foot!! EWWWWEEEHHH!!!!! So I look around and there is another guy sitting in a chair with his beer belly hanging out and what do I spy? His “anklet” or should I say his gps tracker for criminal people. I thought they had to stay in their house with that! Guess not, and who knew they were waterproof?!! It gets better, we went in for breakfast the next day and who do you think waited on us and made our food? You guessed it the parolee!!! Guess he did have to stay near home. Needless to say we went back to the safety of our cabin and our non-working air conditioner. Later in the evening Mark and Keegan went over to the main building to put up the blog and answer emails. When all of a sudden she came running back to me at camp screaming, “Mom, mom I saw lightning bugs!” It was so fun to see her run around and try and catch them! (I get to cross off another one of my items of things that will happen on the trip.) Unfortunately her and Mark stayed a little too long and became dinner for mosquitoes. It is a good thing Keegan likes poka dots, because with all the calamine lotion she had on she looked like her blanket.

Tomorrow its off the Graceland and to see the King! “Hail to the King, Baby!” I know Army of Darkness quote, but it seemed to fit!

KZ

2 comments:

  1. As for the update, all I have to say is "Thank you, thank you very much".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are cracking me up. I love Mark's analytical, informative notes, but Kim's important notes for the day are hilarious. Sorry for the puke though! You both are living Joe's dream driving across country. Susie and Joe

    ReplyDelete